Sikhs for Humanity is an UN-affiliated, non-profit, non-governmental, humanitarian relief organization, aimed at providing assistance in local disaster relief efforts and taking part in many other humanitarian efforts, including blanket drives, blood drives, and feed the hungry events. Sikhs for Humanity group was incepted during NorCal 2017 fires in California, all the local Gurdwara committees and other humanitarian Sikh organizations came together to form a coalition in order to provide relief efforts in manner that:
- It is planned and organized
- The community efforts are not duplicated
- Provide help based on need only to avoid wastage of resources
- There is no un-wanted competition as all work under one banner
- That all the Sikh organizations have one point of contact for planning
Sikhs for humanity served about 5000 meals, 10 truckloads of essential supplies, 850 blankets, and more than 1000 community hours during NorCal fires in a very effective way.